- Chapter 1 : Basics of Measurement To understand the fundamental theory by which the boiler system works, certain basics of Physics are required to be re-visited by the participants. Fundamental concepts of work, Power, Energy and their relationship with pressure, temperature and flow are explained in this chapter. Gas Laws and concept of mole, which is essential to understand combustion mechanism is also explained. This chapter also deals with all important basics of physical measurements and their units.
- Chapter 2 : Properties Of Steam Proper concept of temperature-enthalpy relation in the various part of the Boiler along with flue gas temperature profile and heat transfer process at various locations is one of the basic criteria for analytically understanding the Boiler operating conditions. This chapter deals with the concept of steam properties in details.
- Chapter 3 : Fuels And Combustion
Optimum conversion of chemical energy in to heat energy is one of the most important aspects of Boiler operation. In order to achieve that one should first understand the mechanism of combustion, composition of different fuel and their characteristics,
how 3T conditions in the furnace affects the combustion process, etc.
The chapter deals with all important aspects of fuel & combustion in details along with Calculation of GCV, NCV, Minimum Theoretical Air, gas composition and computation of excess air.
- Chapter 4 : Thermodynamics & Heat Engine Cycles To understand the significance of the various parameters like steam temperature, pressure, condenser vacuum, etc. on the power plant performance, one needs to understand the power cycle clearly. This chapter deals with the fundamental understanding of various Steam power cycles.
Part - II
- Chapter 5 : Boilers This chapter covers the Boiler system in details which includes different types of Boiler, their constructional and operation characteristics, selection criterion, etc.
- Chapter 6 : Boiler Mountings, Accessories And Auxiliaries This is in extension of chapter 5, where the details of different mountings and boiler accessories and Auxiliaries are included.
- Chapter 7 : Firing In Boilers And Types Of Furnaces This is also a part of chapter 5. In this chapter, the boilers are differentiated on the basis of their furnace type. Stoker fired, pulverized fuel fired and fluidized furnace for solid fuel and oil/ gas fired furnace construction, firing characteristics are explained in details in this chapter.
Part - III
- Chapter 8 : Strength Of Material Assessment of stress in tube and other metal component, calculation of thickness and allowable pressure, safe torque that can be transferred by solid/ hollow shaft are included in this chapterl.
- Chapter 9 : Draught System of Boilers & Circulation Calculation of Fan Power for ID and FD, calculation of Chimney height in case of natural draught, etc., and also steam water circulating system in the evaporator, criterion for natural circulation, assisted circulation and forced circulation, importance of Nucleate boiling and factors affecting circulation have been covered in this chapter.
- Chapter 10 : Boiler Performance Factors affecting Boiler performance, calculation of Boiler, super heater and economizer efficiency and assessment of different thermal losses, assessment of APH performance, etc. are covered in this chapter in detail.
- Chapter 11 : Steam Condensers Type of Condenser, factors affecting the performance of a condenser and vacuum, calculation of condenser and vacuum efficiency, calculation of mass of circulating cooling water, etc. are covered in this chapter.
- Chapter 12 : Boiler Operation & Maintenance A general approach for the Pulverized coal fired boiler has been taken in explaining Start-up process, normal operating procedure, specific cares to be taken during emergency conditions and shut down procedure. Operation practices for different accessories and mountings are also discussed. Maintenance schedules at various frequencies and the type of maintenance on each component have also been explained in this chapter. This general guideline is so extensively prepared, that O&M personnel working in any type of boiler can form a clear understanding on the important aspects of operation and maintenance activities in their boiler.
- Chapter 13 : Design Fundamentals Of Boiler The philosophy and the fundamental concept of design of various components have been explained in this chapter.
Part - IV
- Chapter 14 : Boiler Metallurgy The basic metallurgy used in various boiler components, their limitations when working under high temperature and pressure are explained in detail in this chapter.
- Chapter 15 : Fundamentals Of Instrumentation, Boiler Controls & Protection Interlocks Different Boiler controls, trips, interlocks and Fundamental knowledge of instrumentation practices are covered in this chapter.
- Chapter 16 : Furnace Safeguard System Causes of Furnace explosion, understanding of the importance and working of FSSS protection system is explained in this chapter.
- Chapter 17 : Boiler Water Chemistry And Chemical Treatment This is one of the most important and also one of the least understood aspects of Boiler operation. The essential parts of Boiler water chemistry and treatment have been explained in simple manner in this chapter.
- Chapter 18 : Boiler Chemical Cleaning Process & Erosion And Corrosion Control This is in extension of chapter 18. Mechanism of waterside and fireside corrosion and important aspects of pre and post operation chemical cleaning have been explained in this chapter.
- Chapter 19 : Boiler Pollution Control & Electrostatic Precipitators The requirement and various aspects of pollution control measures, which should be known by every O&M engineer, have been explained in this chapter. The construction detail & working principle of Electro Static Precipitator is also given in this chapter
- Chapter 20 : Fuel & Ash Handling Important factors that should be taken care of and the safety aspects for liquid and solid fuel handling, storage and their lay out, various ash handling system details have been given in this chapter.
- Chapter 21 : Indian Boiler Regulation Some of the important definitions and regulations that should be known by an O&M Engineer is given in this chapter.
- APDX. Engineering Drawing